Saturday, August 31, 2013

SETTLING IN-ONCE AGAIN

Our summer time adventure has come to an end and once again it’s time to settle down for a few months here in Fernley RV park in Fernley NV.

We took advantage on our last day at Lake Almanor and did a thorough cleaning inside of the truck and rig.  Scrubbing down the walls, ceiling and floors.  Once we had it all done and we looked at the time and decided to go ahead and head into Fernley one day early.

Right after supper, we took off, knowing we had only a few hours drive ahead of us-we would reach our destination right after sunset.

As we drove we could start seeing the smoke more clearly from the Yosemite fire.  Not too long afterwards-we were in the haziness of all that smoke.

CIMG0020CIMG0025

As I’m driving I look back to when we visited that particular area in May and the beauty we saw there-it’s hard to believe it’s going up in flames. 

DSC01054     DSC00958

Anyways, we made it safely shortly after 9pm and parked for the night at Wal-Mart.  As we arrived we see strange things that we haven’t seen too often in a Wal-Mart parking lot.  People partying, people loading up bikes and camping gear galore, more drinking and more parties.  You see, the Black Rock Desert has what is called the Annual “Burning Man” festival.  It’s a festival out in the middle of no where and ANYTHING goes!  Not something that I think nor Brian or half of our friends would want to ever consider going to! 

We did manage to find a nice quiet corner, got loaded up on groceries and actually had a half way decent night sleep.  Got up bright and early the next morning.

Now it was time to scrub the outside of the RV and the truck.  So off to the car wash we go.  As I pluck in the quarters, Brian washes down both units.  Then we worked together to shammie off before spots can build and dry.  I think we both did a fairly good job-if I say so myself!

Now it’s time to head into Fernley RV Park and get settled in.  As I pull into the drive way I told Brian “Home Sweet Home”….It actually felt pretty good to know that we are going to be stationary for a spell and in a place that we have met friends.  We arrived before the office is actually but was still greeted with warm smiles by the manager of the park.

We got to choose any site that was open, and we choose one that the previous tenant grew some beautiful roses and is no longer here, so we took her space and now I have a rose garden in my back yard! 

As we were inspecting sites, it was nice to see familiar faces to come out and greet us.  Now, getting backed into the site became a challenge.  I thought I had done pretty darn good all summer long in back our home into sites-until we arrived here….

I have a light pole that I had to dodge and miss hitting, then I had to also make sure that I didn’t’ get on the grass and hit any sprinklers…

With the help of Brian and our one neighbor and a few back and forth, and about a half hour later-we are finally parked…whew….

After a very long morning, we soon discovered that we were bit on the tired side and decided to lay down and take a siesta.  Not soon afterwards we hear a knock on our door.

We discovered it was a neighbor from the back in the mobile home park that we met last year.  He had a Min Pin pup with him.  Of course I flew out the door to see what he had!  Sure enough it was a tiny puppy, looking almost like Leah and scared to death.  As I look at the cute little thing-I knew immediately that it wasn’t a full blood Min Pin, but instead half and half Chihuahua.  That didn’t matter for as I play with her on the grass, and we introduce Leah to her, I knew that I just couldn’t pass this little girl up. 

I thought for sure Brian would be adamant about having just one dog, but to my surprise he agrees to give her a try, with the understanding that if Leah did not accept her and we develop issues with her, that the puppy would go back.  (I prayed that it would work out).

P8280017P8280048

So now the challenge began-Leah was okay with the little girl-outside, but inside became the little more of a challenge.  But soon Leah became okay with her inside.

I had named her Kaylee.  Kaylee wasn’t sure about her surroundings or what was happening to her, so we try to make her feel safe and secure and at the same time, letting Leah know that she is and will be the “Alpha Dog” between the two. P8280055

Bedtime really became a challenge at first.  Leah wasn’t wanting to share the bed at first, but before long, I was holding Leah in my arms while Brian help Kaylee in his.  All went smooth until about 3am.  Brain took Kaylee out to go potty and then she came in a full of spunk and spitfire and ready to play.  She pounced on Leah and then me-causing a bit of a ruckus…After 30 minutes, we finally got everyone settled backed down-with Leah laying between my legs and me holding Kaylee….

That next morning, Leah took the few toys that she was willing to share with Kaylee; set them by the door, and hurdle Kaylee towards the door and would not let her pass!  It was so funny, but we had to correct Leah and let her know that Kaylee wasn’t going anywhere.

With Leah being such an aggressive eater herself, our biggest worry was feeding time.  So we choose to make sure that Leah eats first, and then we would put Kaylee in the kennel and let her eat in there.  That seemed to work, but now we are feeding her outside of the kennel and Leah is accepting and allowing her to eat her meals.

We did have two bad scruff where Leah snapped pretty bad at Kaylee, scaring her and making her cry really loud.  We scolded Leah, comforted Kaylee and then comfort Leah.  Since those two incident-everything has been going pretty smoothly.

Leah still has her moments where she still wants to growl at her, but Kaylee is learning to stand up to Leah.  We are finding them playing, and we take them over to doggie row to romp around and they both seem to love it. 

As I work on this blog, I have Leah wrapped in her blankie asleep on my lap, as usual and Kaylee snuggled up tight in her blankie right beside us.  all doggies are happy. 

The challenge will soon come when I go to work and Brian is left with both girls-I wonder what I will come home to and what stories will be told….

 

P8280022

 

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on your safe arrival "home" and tour new family member! I'm skipping CamperForce this year -- too much freelance work so I cancelled a couple weeks ago -- else I'd be joining you at Fernley next week. Have fun this Fall at Amazon. :)

    ReplyDelete